Sunday, January 16, 2011

Annie: the terror of eating out

Three times in the last two weeks, I've been invited out to eat.

Once was at the home of a friend who is also a fellow Weight Watcher - no problem. My dinner was not only delicious - it came with a PointsPlus count!

The other two were in the homes of friends and family who don't need to count anything or be terribly careful - they eat reasonably and healthily, get exercise, and don't have to think about it much.

The first time it happened, I actually lost all control of my manners, and asked if I could bring my own dinner (it was a very late invitation, and my dinner was already in the works), explaining that I had planned it in advance, etc. etc.

Can you believe it? Mum, if you're reading this, I apologize for having turned my back on all the manners you ever taught me, even if only momentarily.

Realizing what a jerk that made me, I called back and apologized, blaming starvation, and said I was going to leave my supper at home for the following day. I stressed about it and then got there to discover it was pot roast -- not nearly as bad as it could have been, Points-wise. Bullet dodged!

Last night was a family dinner at my in-laws' and quite another matter. The main course was steak on the BBQ, which is pretty excellent as far as I'm concerned - easy to count. But all the sides were fatty in some way. Baby potatoes (yay!) roasted in oil (boo!), red and yellow peppers (yay!) fried in oil (boo!) salad (yay!) with caesar dressing (boo!). My choice was the grilled asparagus, which was also tossed in oil, but was less oily than the rest of the veg.

I had a deck-of-cards sized piece of my steak, which I estimated at 4 oz (5 PP), then three baby potatoes (4PP), 8 spears of asparagus (0 PP) and I estimated that between the potatoes and the asparagus I'd likely had a tablespoon of olive oil (4 PP). For dessert we had fresh strawberries and watermelon, which are thankfully Points free!

It was tasty - but 13 PP, and I was hungry on the drive home.

This Weight Watchers business may make me healthier and better-looking, but it may also turn me into a hermit!

No comments:

Post a Comment