Friday, December 3, 2010

Annie: Could they be figuring it out?

For the first time this week, I wore an article of clothing in the next size down. It was a grey suit jacket (or "blazer," for those who don't pointlessly hate that word).

And a funny thing happened: on three separate occasions that day, people asked me about changes to my appearance.

First, late morning: "Did you change your hair? It looks really good!" (Important to note: I haven't changed my hair since approximately 1995, other than letting it go grey when I was pregnant with Child.)

Then, early afternoon: "Is that a new scarf?" (No - I've worn it almost every week this fall.)

Finally, late afternoon: "Are those new glasses? They look nice!" (Again, no - same glasses.)

On the last occasion, I joked with the man who asked "I was wondering when someone would notice - I shaved my beard!" (He doesn't know about the beard-phobia that keeps me on my bike.)

I generally wear my clothes baggy and my jackets long, to hide my size, so it's not at all surprising that people wouldn't notice the loss of what is, frankly, still a relatively small amount. But with the less baggy jacket, could people be noticing a change in my appearance related to my former 22.4 lbs, and not realizing what it is?

Maybe, maybe not. But that's what I'm telling myself!

1 comment: