Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mae: Week 19 weigh-in

As expected, I did gain slightly over my vacay, but less than I had initially thought. I weighed as soon as I got home, but I'm usually pretty bloaty after flying. In any case, I thought I was up around three pounds at the time, but it turns out to be about half that. So - yay? I don't really regret it, as it was a pretty fabulous vacation. But I got to thinking - maybe I'm just sloooooow in general?

It seems that my body is as 'reluctant' (right now, as this certainly, ahem, hasn't always been the case given my current predicament) to put on weight as it is to lose it. This may be a silly theory, but I couldn't help but wonder. I did eat my fair share of guacamole and brie, I'm not gonna lie. I went to the gym a few times, but it was nothing crazy. Maybe I'm just stuck? There are supposedly all sorts of psychological aspects to weight loss (i.e. depressed people lose weight at a rate much slower than those who are not, and this is not entirely due to medication).  I'm not saying that is the case here, but maybe I have some sort of mental block? Hmmmmm.

One change that I have made recently is cutting caffeine down to almost nil. I am more run-down than I have ever been, and came to the realization that I was ingesting WAY too much of it in order to chemically  extend the boundaries of my days. I think it's a much better idea to lose the caffeine and let my body decide on its own when it's time to call it quits for the day.

The other missing piece in addition to sleep is exercise. I'm so damned tired in the morning that I have actually not remembered some of my Wii workouts. It must be quite the sight: me flailing around in the basement with gadgety and glowing things on my appendages like a half-sedated donkey. I can't imagine that this is as effective as when I'm actually awake?

So, a few things to improve for next time ; )

Weigh-in: +1.6
Loss to date: 18.2
Pounds to go: 63.8

1 comment:

  1. Annie sez: I hear you about the exhaustion, but I still think flailing, donkey-like activity must be better than none! :o)

    With that said, on top of all its other health benefits, they say sleep can also be a positive factor in efficient weight loss.

    I think your modest gain may be partially a sign that your body doesn't gain and lose wildly like some others' - which means you shouldn't beat yourself up if your losses happen less quickly too. On the other hand, I think it's important to congratulate yourself for the control you had at meals (and the cupcake bar!), as well as your trips to the on-board gym. You have to know those helped too!

    ReplyDelete