Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Annie: Well, this is it.

Day 1 is over, and I'm here. Yay?

Though I ate sensibly, I didn't count points today - still coming to grips with what was (I have to say) a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, and a delicious post-Thanksgiving dinner: hot turkey sandwiches the next day have always been, for me, just as much a centre of focus as the original turkey dinner.  I made my best-ever gravy this year, which meant I also made my best-ever hot sandwiches this year; but now, they're all behind me and the Thanksgiving Project has begun.

I weighed myself this morning, so have my benchmark. Intend to have Husband take a "before" picture of me, which I'll post here too - later this week. If I post a new picture every 20 lbs, how long will it take to really see a difference? My bet is 3 pictures.

My plan for this project: find out whether I can lose 100 lbs in one year. In theory, it should be do-able: they say 2 lbs/week is reasonable, so in 52 weeks I should be able to lose 104. (For the record, that would still have me above a "healthy" BMI, but I think BMI is made for people with teeny skeletons, which I have not, so that's the last you'll hear of that on my half of this blog.) My plan includes:
  • My umpteeth return to Weight Watchers: I lost 70 lbs on their "Winning Points" program (i.e. about 4 generations of the program ago) somewhere around 2003. I always say I'm Weight Watchers' worst nightmare, because I'm the fat girl who's always telling people how that program works. (It does work - you just have to stick with it, which I clearly did not.)  Since the "Winning Points" program worked for me last time, that's what I'm doing again this time - so while I'm using the online tools for counting points, my program won't work exactly to the website's formula. No worries, though, as long as I can count, I'll be fine.
  • Exercise 4x/week. I have bad knees, so have decided to stay away from high-impact activities until I've lost some weight to begin with - I figure my odds are better in the long term if I do what I can to protect them. Once the knees have less weight to support, I'll (I hope) do less damage to them with impact activities. So for now, it's my bicycle set up on a trainer in the basement: four nights, 30 min/each to start.
  • Supporting, and being supported by, my friend over here. God help us both.
Points begin tomorrow, as does the exercise routine. 364 days to go.

1 comment:

  1. Your friend over there is not your only support, remember that. Go Annie, go! xoxo

    ReplyDelete