Sunday, October 17, 2010

Annie: Crutches

No, I'm not on crutches - I'm just realizing that I have crutches when I'm on points: foods and tools that I absolutely must have.

They are:

  • Weight Watchers' Take Out Tonight cookbook - my sister (a marathon runner who just eats sensibly all the time) and I have both used this book so much that our copies are falling apart. (They're also both splattered with ingredients.) We're yet to try a recipe from this book that wasn't tasty, filling, and low in points. In fact, my panic yesterday at the discovery that I'd lent this book to someone and now couldn't remember who had it, inspired this post. (Sister bailed me out by emailing me a recipe - I now have new copies on order for both myself and Mae!)

  • Slim-Fast Peanut Butter Crunch Time snack bars. These aren't the meal replacement bars - they're snack bars; I think they taste A LOT like Crispy Crunch, and they're 3 points.
  • Laughing Cow light cheeses - 1 point each wedge, or 2 points for 3. I take them for lunch with those huge Wasa or Ryvita crackers, and soup - very filling, you get a milk serving, and yummy.
  • Kettle brand Baked chips - HALF THE BAG is 5 points, and they taste like chips, not cardboard. The Aged Cheddar flavour is my fave, but they're all good.


If it seems as thought I'm a bit too focused on snack foods, it's because I am - that's part of what got me into this mess in the first place. But last time around, anyway, and anytime I've had partial success since, I've found it's because I've been able to integrate healthier choices into my snacking.

If I try to just give up snack foods cold turkey, or if I try to replace a salty or sweet treat at the end of the day with a healthy zero-point vegetable (or that godawful zero-point soup the WW evangelists are always pushing) I won't be satisfied, and I won't stick to the plan. Sure, it's mind over matter, and sure, I should be stronger than that. But I know myself, and if I want this thing to work, it has to work for me. So the snacks are in, damn the torpedoes!

I made it to 20 minutes on the bike last night before caving. Will have to check how many Milky Way Minis that would've been worth! Aiming for 25 tonight.

3 comments:

  1. I suggest you try some more recipes by the Podleski sisters. Their last book Eat Shrink and Be Merry (that you gave me - thanks again!) is their best yet - I use it more than the WW one now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie sez: Thanks! I have to admit, I haven't loved Looneyspoons and Crazy Plates as much as you have (I gave you Eat Shrink and Be Merry because you seemed so jazzed about it!). I find their recipes tend either to be higher in points than I want (great if you're maintaining but not as effective if you're trying to lose than lower-points WW recipes), or they replace ingredients which are, for me, un-replaceable (I would, for example, rather not have meatballs at all than to have turkey meatballs on my spaghetti!).

    With that said, maybe I should check out Eat Shrink and Be Merry - I remember looking through the one I bought you (I wasn't on points at the time) and thinking lots of the recipes looked like things I'd like.

    Can you please bring yours next time you're over? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mae sez: are you kidding? you haven't had my turkey meatballs, and for the points difference, you *may* change your mind. mr. carnivore LOVES them, and THAT'S a ringing endorsement! ; )

    ReplyDelete